Thursday, October 30, 2014

PNRBT: Author Interview -- Ariana Hawkes



Welcome all! For day four of the Paranormal Romance Blog Tour we have an interview with Ariana Hawkes where she discusses, her inspirations, what's next for her characters, and the challenges and research that goes into writing a novel about shifters!





1. When did you know you were a writer?

Pretty much as soon as I learned to write. I was always writing long, involved stories, usually about horses. My teacher would look at them wearily and say, here’s the next Lord of the Rings.

2. Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

Isabel, definitely. I like the combination of feistiness and fragility, and the way that’s she’s just awakening into being this really sexual person, after ending a safe but boring relationship.

3. How about your least favorite character? What makes them less appealing to you?

I enjoy writing the character of Kara, but in real life, she’d probably annoy the hell out of me, as she’s just too much all the time! At the same time, I’d admire someone who’s intelligent and lots of fun, with a strong appetite for sex. 

4. I so relate to Isabel—my family and friends always tell me to meet them about an hour or half hour before any get together because time and me have a poor relationship. Is she based on anyone in real life, or are her quirks maybe inspired by your own?

Haha! Yes, unfortunately that aspect of her character was inspired by my own! Most of my friends are the same, but it drives my partner crazy!

5. Okay Lupus11 would have lost me at the “let’s be on time.” He has some moments of coming off a bit like an ass in instant messages. What is it about Isabel that makes her look past that, and if someone spoke to you that way, would you respond differently?

She decides to give him a chance because she knows that kinky hook-ups function differently from normal dating – even if she doesn’t understand how. She’s also keen to experience new things, and not afraid to take a risk. If I encountered Peter in a similar situation, I’d hook up with him, but I wouldn’t date him. What I look for in a sexy game situation and a potential partner are thankfully very different things!

6. What authors, or books, have influenced you?

My degree is in English and Latin Literature, so I’ve had so many influences from the ancient world onwards. Latin and Ancient Greek poets wrote a lot about shapeshifters, and I’d always wanted to write a modern version that would appeal to lots of people. Then I came across werewolves, and I was like…duh!

7. What is it about wolves that drew you to write about them? Why not cats or birds or any number of creatures in the animal kingdom?

I wanted to go back to an old shapeshifter myth and give it new life, and the Dracula story was an obvious choice for me, as it’s still the scariest book I’ve read. So I had Peter coming from Transylvania, which has very old vampire and werewolf myths. Silver City, where the book is set, is also the only place in the southern states that still has wolves, so it was also a strategic choice. 

8. Give us an interesting fun fact, or a few, about your series and where it’s going.

It’s going to Transylvania! But only if Isabel can get to the bottom of Peter and his weird ways!

10. What genre would you love to write but haven’t tackled yet? What’s stopping you?

I’d love to write a domestic thriller. I have it all planned out actually, but time has been the main barrier so far!

11. What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?

I had to do quite a bit of research on the area where the story is set, and once I get on Wikipedia, hours and hours disappear! It was also hard to know how full on the sex scenes could be, so I’ve spent quite a lot of time writing and rewriting them to get the tone right. 

12. Do you have any advice for new authors?


If you have a daily writing target, stick with it, unless something dramatic happens during the day! It’s too easy to get side-tracked and lose the flow. Also, read plenty of books on writing to improve your style and plot and characterization techniques. There are so many useful tips you can pick up – and there’s no need to try to reinvent the wheel by figuring them out by yourself!





1 comment:

Jessica Gomez said...

i am Jessica Gomez by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address drblessingherbalhealinghome@gmail.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave her a reply to her address and she told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that she will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed her and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Blessing . Her email:drblessingherbalhealinghome@gmail.com