Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Book Review! Never Marry A Warlock by Marilyn Vix

Never Marry A Warlock (A Beware of Warlocks Novelette) 

by
Marilyn Vix
Buy at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1wGPxtU


Catherine walks in on her husband in bed with her best friend. What is a woman to do? It helps that she is a witch. Unfortunately, so is her husband. Before you can say spell battle, Catherine high tails it up the coast of California to clear her head. Lucky for her, she finds an Aussie hitchhiker. She's going to have to face her husband in the awaiting spell battle. Can she have a little fun with her new found boy toy, or will he get scorched in the foreplay? 

Warning: This paranormal romance novelette contains some heated intimate scenes that are for ages 18 and older. Length: 11,256 words


Hell hath no fury like a witch scorned…

As soon as I finished reading the first installment in the Beware of Warlocks series my reaction was “No fair! You can’t end it there!”

Never Marry a Warlock is an incredibly fast-paced read. It starts with great action when Cat finds her husband Richard in bed with her best friend, and the sparks fly in a full-on magical duel. It doesn't slow from there as we follow Cat on her journey to set herself right and recover from the betrayal. There were times I wished it would have taken a more scenic route in the exposition, just because I wasn't ready to move on, and I wanted so much more of the characters than this teaser allowed, but the installment definitely did it job in making me hungry for more. 

Vix's style lends itself well to the ratcheted pace, and is very conversational—there is no getting bogged down by purple prose or evidence of an author so enamored with her own words that she meanders. Vix does not meander. Her characters are a lot of fun, and it’s hard not to like Cat right from the start, especially with Vix's sharp wit and humor that kept me snickering as I turned the pages.

I got the feeling Jeff is to be the main love interest of the series, and I was supposed to really hate Richard, but dang it…

Maybe it’s the jerk magnet in me (no offence Hubby, light of my life) but Richard is my kind of dick. I know he’s bad, but I just don’t care—he’s awesome bad. He smiles at just the right time, and it could just be that warlock glamour he’s putting off, but if this series turns into one of those “Who will she choose” deals, I’m going to be team Richard all the way. 

Oh, and also...best line ever -- “I’m a witch, you bitch.”



No comments: